This article will show you how to add an alert in the Alert Center.
Who can use this feature?
- Navigate to Modules > Content > Alert Center
- Select the category you would like the alert to be under
- Select Add Alert
- Fill in the information
- Note: Leaving “Emergency Alert” does not override the alert bar text, only custom text will override the alert bar text.
- Title: Title of the alert
- Brief Description: Brief description of the alert; you are limited to 250 characters
- Full Description: The full description of the alert
- Alert Bar: Choose if you would like the alert to display in the Alert Bar on no pages, All Pages, Home Page Only, or a Department page and subpages
- Note: This option will only be available if the Alert Bar is Enabled for the category.
- Note: Selecting Department page and subpages will allow site visitors on a specific Department's pages to see department-specific information in the Alert Bar rather than seeing the same alert added for All Pages. Department-specific alerts will always take precedence over All Pages alerts, ensuring that two alerts can be published on the Alert Bar and on All Pages without preventing any Department-specific Alert Bar content.
- Alert Bar Text: Add a name to appear on the Alert Bar.
- Alert Bar Link: List the link that directs clicks on the Alert Bar.
- Note: Leaving “/AlertCenter.aspx” does not override the alert bar link, only a custom relative or absolute link will change where the main Alert Bar area directs.
- Upload Image(s): Add related photos to the alert
- “Read On…” Text: Determine how the link will be displayed if there is a Full Description
- Link(s): Add related links regarding this alert; click the + to the right of the Display Text to add additional links
- Open in New Window: The link opens a new window
- Link item, image, read on, RSS and notifications to this Web Address: "Read On..." text link will direct to this link rather than the alert item screen on widgets or on the Alert Bar
- Note: This can only be enabled on a single link. This option will be disabled for any other links once it is selected.
- Alert Starts: When the alert will display on the front end of the website
- Alert Ends: When the alert will end on the front end of the website
- Choose a saving option
- Save Changes: Will save any changes you have made to the file
- Save & Publish: Will save the changes and publish them to the live site
- Save & Submit: Will save the changes and submit them for approval (authors only)
- Cancel: Will delete what you have done
- A notification window will open; your options to send the notification include:
- Subject: Add a brief subject line
- Comments: Attach a description of the alert
- Mobile Text/Push Message: Attach a message to the SMS notification
- Include link to item: Provides a link to the item within the SMS message, which the user can visit via their mobile device
- On Start Date: Sends the item on the start date previously set
- Immediately: Sends the agenda immediately
- Select Send, Don’t Send, or Cancel: The notification will then send accordingly to those who have signed up in Notify Me for the selected Alert Center category
Feedback About the ArticleLet us know what was helpful or not helpful about the article below.
The article above says the "brief description" is limited to 250 characters. When the email is sent out, why does it truncate at 160 characters (including spaces)?? And then you click on "Read on" in the email to finish the sentence, and the brief description doesn't even show up on the page! Frustrating.
Is HTML allowed in the "Full Descripton"? An editor would be a great feature for these alerts as well.
Please sign in to leave a comment.