The Editor widget has Americans with Disabilities Action (ADA) compliance tools, is responsive (including tables), and includes additional tools and features such as font options and full-screen mode.
- Line breaks in the Editor widget automatically double-space. To get a single line break, press Shift + Enter on your keyboard.
The Editor has the option to expand the font options that are available to you. This includes more font types, sizes, and colors to be available in the drop-down. To turn this feature on, please view our Enable Font Options article.
Fullscreen: Expand your editing window to your whole screen
- Bold: Bold text
- Italics: Italicize your text
Underline: Underline your text
Strikethrough: Show your text with a line through it
- Subscript: Allows you to have text smaller than your normal text and on the bottom, similar to a sub-text
- Superscript: Allows you to have text smaller than your normal text and aligned to the top, similar to saying "x squared"
- Font Family: Choose the font for your text
- Font Size: Change the size of the font
- Font Color: Allows you to edit the color of the text
- Background Color: Modify the background of the text
- Quote: Wraps your text in a q tag, which inserts quotation marks and informs screen readers and other devices that the content is a quote
Abbreviation: Informs the screen reader that there is an abbreviation; enhances comprehension of the text for the end-user
- Language: Tells screen readers if the specific text is a different language; enhances comprehension and translation for the end-user
- Clear Formatting: Quickly remove extra formatting on your page. This is helpful if you paste content onto the site and it does not appear correctly.
Spell Check: Checks spelling and grammar within the editor widget
Note: Select the number in the bottom right corner to view any errors and receive correction suggestions
- Align: Center, left, right, or justify your text alignment
- Ordered List: Add numbered lists to your content area. You can either select existing text to make a numbered list or you can start a new line and begin a new numbered list.
- Unordered List: Add bulleted lists to your content area. You can either select existing text to make a bulleted list or you can start a new line and begin a new bulleted list.
- Paragraph Format: Select a style that is made for your site, such as Headline, Subhead1, and Subhead2. Further font options are available.
- Decrease Indent: Decrease the indentation of text
- Increase Indent: Increase the indentation of text
Block Quote: Align a region (block) of your text differently than the rest of your text
Note: This will indent and italicize your chosen text.
- Insert Image: Insert and format images into your content area
- Slideshow Manager: Insert and format slideshows into your content area
- Insert Document Link: Opens up the Document Center so you can select a document to link to
- Insert Link: Add any link to the page
- Insert Table: Insert a table into your content area
- Special Characters: Insert special characters onto your page
Undo: Undo recent changes
Note: The undo option will only go back to the most recently saved.
- Redo: Redo recent changes; only recognizes active edits, as soon as the page saves it will not be available
- Select All: Quickly and easily select all content that is in the editor
- Code View: This option gives you the opportunity to work on the HTML side of the editor; can add custom styles, colors, or other coding. The code is color-coded to best keep track of action items.
- ADA Checker: CivicPlus provides an ADA checker for the content located in the Editor Widget, FAQs, and News Flash. Learn more about this tool in our ADA Checker article.
- Ctrl + Shift + Enter: Allows you to type directly below a paragraph of text with no space between
- Ctrl + K: Shortcut to insert a link
- Ctrl + V: Paste
- Ctrl + C: Copy
- Ctrl + X: Cut
- Ctrl + Z: Undo
Ctrl + Shift + V: Plain Paste
- Note: Not all browsers will allow this.
- Ctrl + B: Bold
- Ctrl + I: Italics
- Ctrl + U: Underline
- Ctrl + S: Strikethrough
- Ctrl + ]: Increase Indent
- Ctrl + [: Decrease Indent
The Editor Widget recognizes rich formatting that a user pastes and will alert the user with a pop-up message to ask if they would like to clear the original formatting before they paste it into the Editor.
- P and Header tags are the proper semantic tags to use in the cases of the Editor and provide some value for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Accessibility.