This article will explain what templates are, when they can be used, and how they can be applied to content.
Who can use this feature?
System Administrator | Owner
- You will not see applied templates on the front end with Live Edit On, you must turn off Live Edit to see the applied template.
- Templates cannot be applied to pages that are not associated with a Module.
- The examples listed in this article are intended as a general guide on what templates can do but do not reflect all capabilities within our solutions.
Not finding what you are looking for? View additional resources.
What is a template?
Templates are established patterns, models, or guides that help create things more quickly and easily. It's like having instructions to follow when building something. Templates are often used to simplify the process of creating something. Some examples of templates include:
- Website Templates: These are pre-designed web pages that include layouts, color schemes, and something interactive elements. They are often used to help speed up the design and development process when building or maintaining websites.
- Design Templates: Design templates used in industries, like graphic design, provide a guide for making items like posters, brochures, or business cards.
- Document Templates: This kind of template is often a pre-designed document with fields for text, images, and other element types.
When should a template be used?
Templates should be used when you want to create something quickly and easily, without starting at the very beginning. Some examples of when using a template would be helpful include:
- Building a Website: When creating a website, a template can provide a design and structure that you customize with your content.
- Creating Forms: Templates provide a structure when creating things like job applications, event registrations, or surveys.
- Planning Events: Event planners often use templates when creating checklists, invitations, or schedules to help stay organized.
- Sending Emails: Email templates are handy for creating consistent formatting for messages like invitations or newsletters.
Create a Template
For more information on how to create new templates, review the Add a New Template article.
Apply a Template
There are three ways to apply templates:
- Through the Template Manager: When using the Template Manager module, a user can apply a template to an individual category within a module.
- With Bulk Actions: By using the Template Manager module, a user can apply a template to multiple categories within a module.
- Through the Module: Templates can be applied through a module category's properties.