Tips for a better balanced Mega Menu
This article will show you how the Mega Menu Structure is determined, using what we know here, we can use this to help achieve better balancing.
Things That Help
- We know the left-hand column will be the longest
- Sections will not wrap to the next column
- Ensure that any lengthy sections are moved to be in their own column or with a smaller section
- You can choose to show 1 or 2 levels of pages to help avoid extremely long sections
- We know Government and Departments are usually the exceptions and it is best practice to continue showing the sub-pages here in alphabetical order
- Long Page titles will wrap
- You can change your Mega Menu Text to be shorter and keep your Page Title lengthier if needed
Some Final Thoughts
- Having your Parent Pages alphabetized was a best practice we are moving away from.
- Note: This does not apply to subpages. It is helpful for those to be in a particular order, i.e., departments, boards/committees.
- Moving away from an alphabetical parent page structure gives you more freedom to customize your Mega Menus for desired aesthetics and to move the most visited topics to the top.
- Note: You do want to limit the frequency in which you make changes to your navigation structure as this could frustrate visitors that are familiar with navigating your site.