This article will show you how the Mega Menu Structure is determined and how we can use current knowledge to help achieve a better balance.
Things That Help
- We know the left-hand column will be the longest
- Sections will not wrap to the next column
- Ensure that any lengthy sections are moved to be in their own column or with a smaller section
- You can choose to show 1 or 2 levels of pages to help avoid extremely long sections
- We know Government and Departments are usually the exceptions and it is best practice to continue showing the sub-pages here in alphabetical order
- Long Page titles will wrap
- You can change your Mega Menu Text to be shorter and keep your Page Title lengthier if needed
Some Final Thoughts
- Having your Parent Pages alphabetized was a best practice we are moving away from.
- Note: This does not apply to subpages. It is helpful for those to be in a particular order, i.e., departments, boards/committees.
- Moving away from an alphabetical parent page structure gives you more freedom to customize your Mega Menus for desired aesthetics and to move the most visited topics to the top.
- Note: You do want to limit the frequency in which you make changes to your navigation structure as this could frustrate visitors that are familiar with navigating your site.