Content created in another source such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs that is transferred into a rich-text editor such as the Editor Widget will often include underlying HTML code. This hidden code can cause formatting changes that may affect the way your content displays, or may even affect your ability to edit the content itself. This is especially important for existing CivicPlus clients preparing for a redesign.
Who can use this feature?
In order to ensure the content that you paste into an editor is "clean" or free of this underlying HTML code, you will want to ensure you are "plain-pasting" your content.
- On a computer using a Windows operating system, you will want to use Ctrl + Shift + V to paste your content without formatting.
- On a Mac, you can use Command + Shift + V.
Cleaning Existing Content
The Editor Widget recognizes rich formatting that a user pastes and will alert the user with a pop-up message to ask if they would like to clean the original formatting before they paste it into the Editor.
HTML Washer Instructions
You may also use an HTML cleaner tool to remove rich text formatting.
Note: CivicPlus does not endorse any specific tool for this purpose, but there are many different tools available for free online that you can use. One such tool is the HTML Washer.
- Copy the HTML from the Code View of the Editor Widget
- Go to the HTML Washer site
- Paste the copied code into the HTML Washer
- Click the Wash button
- Scroll down and Copy the washed code
- Paste the code back into the Code View of the Editor Widget on your page
- Use the Editor Toolbar to apply the font, color, and class formatting for the text as needed
- Click the green checkbox to exit the Editor Widget
- Click Save