When creating columns of approximately even length with regard to the pages widget, the following constraints and contributing factors are outside the control of the algorithm doing the balancing:
- Number of columns
- Order of menu item groups
- Total number of items
- Relative size (# of child items) of item groups
- Font-size difference between 1st & 2nd level items
- Text wrapping for items with longer menu text
- If one column must be longer, it is should be the left-most
- Performance – we need to generate results in a time frame acceptable to a modern web user
- Note: See our guide on how to Achieve Better Balance in your Mega Menu for more help.
Within these constraints, we need to create a single algorithm that will be used for all possible configurations. We have yet to identify an algorithm that will result in ideally balanced columns for all configurations.
- Count the number of total items (at all levels)
- Divide that total by the number of columns
- Note: The result is the target number of items in any given column.
- We fill the columns from right to left
At present, the best solution is to adjust the number of columns to that which yields the best result.
Feedback About the ArticleLet us know what was helpful or not helpful about the article below.
Article is closed for comments.